USA to Bogota by Land, Manifesto of a Dream

Biggest adventure ever!

It is January 2022. After so (too) many months of living through a pandemic that has transformed all of collectively and individually, I am ready for adventure. 

And... I am not talking about something "mild." I want a thriller! 

It has always been a dream to drive from the U.S. to Colombia-- one that I have never taken too seriously because of so many telling me it is just IMPOSSIBLE! However, is it? 

After having travelled by land from Bogotá to Buenos Aires in 2016, I am a changed woman! I was 25 at the time, and as a soon-to-be-solo-traveller through South America, more than one relative and friend warned me it would be just "too dangerous." 

However, I embarked on the adventure anyways. Read about that solo trip here. 

One crucial takeaway from my trip: many people will scare you away from taking a chance and embarking on adventure. Do not take me wrong, I understand that our loved ones get concerned, and they are well-intentioned when they warn (discourage) us. But, as I have learned traveling a lot by myself, usually those fears are exaggerated. Of course, tragedy does strike occasionally. Statistically, however, it isn't likely that one will experience something terrible. Mostly, we may experience minor inconveniences and solvable problems-- nothing worth not going on the adventure. 

So, with all of that said: my next (big) adventure will be driving from the U.S. to Colombia with my two adorable dogs, Eevee and Pita. 

I have started this mission by researching the requirements for crossing the border with a car, two U.S. citizens, and two dogs. 

A rough plan at this point is to drive from Ypsilanti, MI to Tucson AZ, get a cheap car and leave our car parked at a friend's house. Then drive to Mexico, then to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and lastly, Colombia. 

I will make future posts with information on how to complete this trip!

See you again soon! 







Comments